Monday, February 28, 2011

Mirror Mirror On The Wall

Or above the pay phone. On the bathroom stall door. Pasted onto the bus stop plexiglass. Above the bus's exit doors. Dangling against five other ornaments on your mobile phone. Along a random brick wall. Attached to your students' hands at all times. Tilted perfectly towards you at your work desk. Mirrors in every classroom and every office. In Daiso, 999 Won, and grocery stores. 
Mirrors, mirrors! Everywhere you go!!
As natural as beauty is in the ROK, there's a lot of reflection gazing amongst the people, especially the younger generation. With all these mirrors hanging about, Koreans could possibly be looked upon as a vain society. Is it simply self obsession, or is staring into the mirror part of an errorless social expectation? It's possible that perfection goes beyond afternoon sparkling teeth or coloring inside the lines. Perfection may be focusing in on each strand of hair, balancing the limits on the curl of a smile, or shallowing out the depth of a frown. Perfection might also be improving perfect beauty, and hiding away any possible flaws. Smooth the blemishes, white-out the errors, and shine in the mirrors.

3 comments:

  1. Omg I'm so glad you posted about this! I wanted write about the abundance of mirrors everywhere in Korea but never came about doing it. There were so many at my school. I found myself using them more than I would have imagined

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself stopping to look in the mirror inside HomePlus and realized that moment I have become completely Korean! lol! So I decided to write about it :) So glad you're liking my posts!!! ^^

    ReplyDelete