Monday, June 28, 2010

Taps, Transfers, and Trains

After taking public transit for six years, I'd love to call myself an expert, aside from my lack of geographical understanding, my terrible directions. Luckily I have with me my subway map at all times, because NO, I am not even close to an expert. I just pretend to be. The good thing about the Korean transit system is that it is easy enough to follow. And, although I have had to use hand gestures and point to the location I'm headed to multiple times with helplessness in my eyes, I have made it home safely every time. Rather than waiting for a bus for hours on end, as I did in Los Angeles and San Francisco, the buses and trains come every few minutes. On the dot! So, the wary of transferring and waiting is long gone. The trains are clean and untampered with a hand sanitizing machine near each exit, the platforms have sliding window doors, not to protect against accidents, but to protect against suicides. There are refreshments including bitty cans of soda and cheap instant coffee, making the short wait that much more enjoyable. Blasting air conditioning, and insanely funny caution signs, including the one posted above where the man is in shock of his man-purse catching in the door are a few extra bits in the rail package.
Oh, and drinking in the subway is A-OK. Yes!


The sole problem with the transportation is the early last-train departures. So, if you're planning a night out in Seoul, plan a damn good night because you won't be able to hop back on a train until 5:30am. Other options strongly encouraged are a disturbingly expensive taxi or a night at a love motel. I prefer to party 'till sunlight and a good Korean meal before the ride home...the two hour ride home in my case.

No comments:

Post a Comment