Tuesday, August 31, 2010

I Hate South Korea

No, no. Those words would never leave my lips. In fact they would never enter my mind. Those words sit uncomfortable and awkward side by side in that title, like the way my students stand when forcing English out of them in front of their classmates.
I recently heard this statement. And I've heard it time to time. It's not the fact that somebody doesn't favor a flavor or a certain value or way of life. I detest ginger; I won't go anywhere near that hideous brown root. I'm not a fan of taboos such as women smoking in public. But to hate an entire country and everything they stand for? I wanted some details on this horrific idea. "Why?" I asked the most recent South Korea Debbie Downer. "Because everything about it is weird," he responded after not a hint of thought. And that was all. I even offered a second chance at explaining his allegation. Nothing.
I've heard this from some foreigners from the months I've been here. Some have no choice but to stay for work (ie: military). But, at least keep a positive view of the world around. HATING South Korea truly boggles my mind. Sure, there are some odd things that happen, and sure some things about Korea aren't oh-so-beautiful. Yeah, sometimes life here can get ugly and contradictory and, well...WEIRD. But what country is perfect? There are a multiple rants I can make on the negatives of America. Its values can sometimes be appalling. But I still love my country.

 I've realized that my adoration for SK was not merely a honeymoon period because I've surpassed those few beginner's love months and still have an absolute growing heart for it. As long as I am here, I tend to embrace South Korea and take home the positives. If I live abroad, I will try my utmost to respect and to understand as much as I could before making such a statement. If the only reason I give in hating a country is because it's weird, I don't deserve to be in their country. Give a valid reason, well, then that's different story. 
BTW, this sudden diarrhea of feelings is not written for the one mere person I spoke about. This goes for all those who come here with a closed mind, because the negativity that people bring shows in vivid colors and reflects on others, especially on those who are native to the country. Keep an open heart. And watch something pretty beautiful appear. Seriously. 
 <3, ReneeInSk

1 comment: