Monday, July 5, 2010

In Search of the Soul of Seoul

As painfully cliché as the title seems, I have truly been on a search for the heart of Seoul. If you were to strip it clean of the foreign teachers and militia and tourists and businesspeople and world wanderers (aka gypsies), Turkish kebab-stand men and, all who find their way into Seoul...well, then, what exactly IS Seoul? I came to the conclusion that with the oh-so-cool westernized influence and a hub for foreigners to dwell, Seoul's true soul has partially decomposed, leaving a sort of aftertaste not much different from that of a soggy, warm kimbap from 7-11...
Oh...wait, what's that? I'm in Itaewon?! OH! Well, then scratch all that! Pft!
 On a side note, though, us traveling westerners have turned just about every major city and beautiful landmark across the world into a pile of festering poo, right? (And I mean that in a very nice gesture).

So, I'll truly begin with the true beauty of Seoul. Because, no, the culture has NOT been lost. In fact, it's flourishing in the midst of all the Starbucks and tourist shops. And, my god....this enormous city is GEORGEOUS and full of life that has a fast paced international city feel with a Korean heart beating behind the curtains. If you go into Seoul, there is MUCH soul to find. And yes, that of your own as well. :)
I will definitely be posting Seoul trips throughout my SK blogster, but let us begin with my first taste. My first month...seen from heights. (ToBeCont...)

No comments:

Post a Comment