Sunday, July 11, 2010

Random Moments of Beauty and Oddity in the Bu (UijeongBU)

I'm not sure why I have this deep and ever growing fascination with, not only South Korea, but Uijeongbu itself. Over the years, I have grown accustomed to walking at a fast pace amongst smile-less people with a void glazed over their eyes, over their bodies. And I come to this tiny city (because after living in large fast paced cities, this is considered a tiny city in my book) to find that I need to slow down. A lot. Almost halt myself and begin by taking baby steps from A to B. Because as much city Uijeongbu seemingly holds, it is a town. A town with tall buildings and copious amounts of people. So, as I walk at the pace of the Uijeongbu-ians, I learned exactly why they walk in such a manner...or at least I learned why I myself wouldn't mind taking my time. Easy. This country is beautiful. And so is the vibe the dwellers set off, especially the children. They have an innocent and pure life in them that I've decided to take in as well. And, while I'm at it, take pictures along the way. Stopping life to take a picture here and there has its extreme advantages. For example, I would never have come across a random naked man at noon thirty, alone on a rock in the stream. (haha) But in seriousness, I wouldn't have thought to pause myself and appreciate the view, the smell of trees and mist and food (and sometimes the disturbing smell of mothballs) and every little whizzing car and laughing child and angry drunk old man.

No comments:

Post a Comment